Thursday 15 January 2009

First Impressions

From the outside the pub looked anything but a traditional country pub. A post war building with numerous recent additions it looked in need of some TLC.

On paper this pub ticked several boxes, but location? Hell no. 'I wonder what time the builders start?' My question was ignored. Himself, seeming inclined to continue the inspection, was standing by the builders gateway viewing the pub roof. It wasn't long before before we were spotted and out rushed a very excited landlord.

'Come in, come in,' he said rubbing his hands in a Faganesque way. 'Would you like a coffee, cup of tea, or something stronger?' At this point a G&T would have gone down well but I resisted and asked instead for the ladies cloakroom.

My mother insists that you can tell a great deal about a pub, or restaurant, by its loos. If they smell fresh they are probably clean. If they look clean too then you can bet that you're not going to get food poisoning from the restaurant. This loo was basic, looked clean but smelt of stale wee. I was thankful to have turned down refreshments.

The inside of the pub had fared no better. Dark, grubby paintwork littered with out of date posters advertising everything I hate about pubs. Karaoke, live rock bands and disco nights. Our host enthused about the many wonderful evenings they'd had, people came from far and wide to support them. The bar did not back up his words and looked remarkably under stocked. Whilst Himself got down to the technical stuff I wandered through a swing door and found myself in a large, bright, very red room. A wall of windows overlooked the garden in what I assumed must be the function room - but a function room devoid of furniture. This pub was beginning to feel 'closed.'

No comments: